Friday, April 22, 2011

Show & Tell - Prayer Flags

Secret of Kells - Prayer Flag Project




I have long been inspired by Tibetian Prayer Flags. Tibetian's believe the wind carries the intentions of the writing & imagery on the flags out into the world for the benefit of all living beings. I wanted to create a set that wound these beliefs, my Christian beliefs and the beauty of illuminations, all into one project that will hang both at my church on Easter Sunday & at my home over the door frame for summer.



I started with researching the colors of the flags and thier meanings- then I made a map and found biblical verses & book of common prayer writings to add to each flag.

Materials -
  • I made paper-fabric (toutorial to come),


  • then fused a layer of ciffon over the top.


  • I backed each flag in hand-painted fabric


  • with a layer of fast2fuse inbetween.


  • finally I hand-stiched buttons & scraps to make them hang.



They are unique, heartfelt & I love them. So the Kells blog is done. But my friend already pointed out that a lot of my stuff is starting to have a Kells-ish look. I believe in all we take in becomes an opportunity to shuffle it up and create something new with it.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you walk along the road, when you are going to bed and when you wake. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorposts of your home and on you gates. Deuteronomy 6:5-9

1 comment:

  1. Okay so I have made it back to your blog this morning. I am blessed and inspired by how you put such beauty and wonderful meaning behind your work. God has given you a wonderful gift and boy are you good at using it!

    ReplyDelete