Thursday, April 28, 2011
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
I am often and always inspired by my travels. I am lucky enough to visit Washington DC a few times a year. My hubbies family is based there and I love being able to visit the Smithsonian's too. They have become like friends to me. I love visiting and being inspired (I am lucky my family allows me to bring my sketch book and they don't mind waiting it out- Thank you!)
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Monday, April 25, 2011
- I love taking the old architecture images and pulling out details to inspire stamps & stencils. I like to tweak the image to my liking. I often make both a stencil and a stamp so I can use the images both in the positive & the negative.
- Sometimes practice my drawing skills by copying images
- Use patterns in my rug hooking. Often I am trying to find interesting border patterns for rugs I hook.
Sunday, April 24, 2011
- http://web.me.com/annebagby/Anne_Bagby/home.html. Anne Bagby has inspired me to use layered paper. And given me my favorite new tool in the studio - DELI PAPER
- http://www.stephenbwhatley.com/ Yummy color and astounding paint.
Friday, April 22, 2011
- I made paper-fabric (toutorial to come),
- then fused a layer of ciffon over the top.
- I backed each flag in hand-painted fabric
- with a layer of fast2fuse inbetween.
- finally I hand-stiched buttons & scraps to make them hang.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you walk along the road, when you are going to bed and when you wake. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorposts of your home and on you gates. Deuteronomy 6:5-9
17 local artist- watercolor, acrylic, fiber, glass, sculture & jewelry artist. They are a fun group and I look forward to getting to know them better.
Please join us for The Mad Hatter Party, May 21 - 5-7 pm. It is the opening reception for the new artists. I am one of four in this new freshmen class.
Secret of Kells project will continue tomorrow... I am working at Gallery 3 all day and felt the need to annouce my new endevor today! Cheers.
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
The Book of Kells: Reproductions from the Manuscript in Trinity College Dublin, ©1974
Secret of Kells project continued ~
This is a beautiful book that I flipped through then more intentionally sat and took out my sketchbook and here are the results. Very little of this could be considered copies. This is meant to be more of homage to the book itself, than a copy. I am always trying to bend drawings to make sure I can then use those in my original artwork.
· HHistory of the Manuscript - Said to be of the Early Middle Ages, it is a Gospel Text, in Latin long lines, written on calf vellum, the age of the pages had a beauty to them, I loved the stitching that is visible in the high res plates in the book. Quills were the tools for both the text & illuminations. Other tools they were thought to have - rulers, set-squares, compasses, and early french curves. Housed in Trinity College in Dublin (Check Dublin just got a star next to it in my travel journal).
I loved the illuminated Celtic beginnings, knot work and crazy creatures. It is a stunning achievement of precision craftsmanship.
INSPIRATION FOR THE FLAGS~ I put an alphabet together to work on the prayer flags… loosely based on the text in the book of Kells.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
After watching the movie a lot... I have been sketching with Kells on the brain. Here r some of my sketches from the movie. Tommorow I will share the book of Kells...
Monday, April 18, 2011
I adore this movie and so does my 2.5 year old (yes he is a little young for it but he loves it… he calls it his tiger one). I have had the opportunity to watch this movie a lot lately. I mean a lot. Did I mention almost daily…. Now I sit back with my sketchbook and watch with artist eyes.
I wanted to start a prayer flag project and over the next week I will show you how the Secret of Kells inspired me to do more research then eventually do an illumination project of my own!
Sunday, April 17, 2011
- http://www.oneprettything.com/ -OK this one I stroll everyday!
Saturday, April 16, 2011
- I loved the artist who was building structures to hang her pieces from using willow.
- I also loved how one artist organized her fabric stash all to the same size and by color. I think I will apply this to my growing stash & my collage materials.
Thursday, April 14, 2011
Went on a fabulous quick trip to Eastern Washington with Mom last weekend. I am pumped about some interesting finds & incorporating them into my artwork.
Quick tip- used my phone to take pics of things I was interested in, spend the night evaluating... when back & picked the special well-priced finds.