Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The If Project

"What If …. There was something that someone could have said or done to have helped you that may have prevented you from getting where you are now, what would it have been?"

A simple question asked to a group of inmates in a Washington women’s prison. Answered 240 times in essay form at theifproject.com. I heard from the co-founder and a graduate of the program tonight at St. George’s Episcopal Church.

It was an eye-opening experience. Seeing women who look like me, locked away, who have never been asked - how did you get here, what advice to you have for children, what would have made you path different? What if?

As I listened to these fabulous women speak, I thought about my own life, what if my path wasn’t as supported, what if I was not raised in the bedrock of my family, but instead on shakier ground. What if I had not married a kind, gentle and loving man? What if?

I was humbled by their stories and by their essays – what if? Please take time to look at the website www.theifproject.com. I hope to do some volunteer work with them soon.

The thing both Kim & Miss B came back to – was to listen to children, come along side and support them as a caring adult, show love, honest true love.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog and of course your painting is a beautiful gift from God!!! You are sooo talented! Thanks for sharing.....you are now on my "favorite bookmarks". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Hope to hear from you again soon.

    ReplyDelete